Monday, February 23, 2015

Blog post 1

So I haven't been able to start my strength training because I qualified for districts in wrestling. I do not want to be tired or sore for districts, so instead I have just been doing research on what program I will be following for my weight training. I will be following the program outlined in Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Starting Strength contains lots of valuable information on the correct way to do each movement, and useful lifts to do in order to get stronger. I will be
 It focuses on large compound movements using many different muscle groups in order to promote muscle growth. Mark Rippetoe was a power lifter for 9 years, and is currently a gym owner and strength coach. I will be following the programming outlined in this book which includes lifting 3 nonconsecutive days a week and eating a large amount of food in order to promote growth. Rippetoe believes muscles for strength and function, rather than appearance. This is a good quote by Mark Rippetoe:

"It might be helpful to understand that a man performs better at 5’11” weighing 205 than 155, and most would argue, looks a hell of a lot better as well.
This may be more than you can accept, and I understand why: modern physique culture is focused on visible abs and low bodyfat, and you may not be able to wrap your mind around the idea of the process by which a big, advanced man is built to begin with. Or you may be spending an inordinate amount of time with your shirt off posing in front of your cell phone camera."

2 comments:

  1. This is definitely a useful practice to continue since there are health benefits involved. So is the book more about the technicalities of weight lifting, such as the form, or is about more than just that? When you say that you have to eat a large amount of food, what types of food, proteins? I agree that the person weighing more performs better, but just as long as it's good weight. Culture doesn't care about the application, they care more so about the looks. Good point you make there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking a physical project to undertake is a daring move. If you have goals as objective as the ones you have set there is likely a component inflexibility that come along. One thing you should take notice of is your thoroughness in explaining your ideas and proposals. I got confused at the beginning of the second paragraph.

    ReplyDelete