Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Blog Post 3

So my new book, Practical Programming for Strength Training came today. It is really in depth as far as understanding the reasoning behind program creation. A big portion of the book discusses the details of how the body responds to stress, like strength training. Rippetoe describes the function of hormones in the human body and how the body uses hormones to respond to strength training. I also learned that the best way to gain strength the is to do lifts that incorporate the most muscles into a heavy lift. This causes stress across all of the muscles and forces the body to adapt to this new need. This makes the deadlift a very important lift as it incorporates almost every muscle in the body. This allows it to gain strength faster than any other lift, and for this reason I will be replacing the power cleans in workout B with deadlifts. Rippetoe recommends doing this in Practical Programming for Strength Training because it will progress much faster than the power clean. Here is a video of Mark Rippetoe teaching the deadlift After my progress with the deadlift slows, I will return to my original program as the power clean is still a very important lift. I do not want to try to just add the deadlift on to my routine, because I would risk overtraining myself if I squatted, deadlifted, and power cleaned all in the same day. I am just starting to lift a lot again, and because of this my body is not used to the work. This means that it will have to adapt to the new routine, and have to get stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment