Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Blog Post 2

So today is going to be the official start of my workout program. I got a little workout in on Sunday, but I didn't really push myself because I had to wrestle the next day. Now that I am done with wrestling, I can focus on this project. In Starting Strength, Rippetoe says that it is important to know exactly what you are going to do before you step foot into the room. On page 295 he writes, "Each training session must have a definite achievable goal, usually an increase over the previous workout in the amount of weight lifted, or another definable objective based on the person's training history." He also says, "All people who are serious about their training write down their workouts" (Rippetoe 320). So I will always record my workouts in my spreadsheet, found here. I just got the spreadsheet app for my phone, so I will be able to record my workout as I am doing it. I will be following this program which Rippetoe recommends for Novices:
Workout A
3 sets of 5 Squat
3 sets of 5 Press
1 set of 5 Deadlift
3 sets of pull ups to failure

Workout B
3 sets of 5 Squat
3 sets of 5 Bench Press
5 sets of 3 Power Clean
3 sets of 10 Lying Tricep Extension

I will be alternating these workouts 3 nonconsecutive days a week, usually Monday, Wednesday, Friday. This is just the basic programming outlined in Starting Strength and so I would like to add some variety in exercises if needed. I have ordered Practical Programming for Strength Training by Mark Rippetoe in order to get more information on the best training program I can do. Starting Strength is more about how to do the lifts, and Practical Programming for Strength Training is more about the programming. Before I went into the gym and trained, I made sure I had the correct form and learned some useful tips by watching some instructional videos and reading Starting Strength.

In this video Rippetoe talks about the biomechanics of squatting and how correct form affects your ability to lift heavy weights and get stronger

This is a website that contains a lot information that complements the book and builds on information in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment